Thursday, November 06, 2008

WE WON!



Events in life seem to continually put us in a position of being winners or losers. But each of us must define for ourselves what is meant by winning and losing and not be led astray by how the media may define it.

We subscribe to the conviction of Grantland Rice: “It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.”

Some may think the winners are the ones who voted for and supported the media’s choice. But those of us who have stood fast against the onslaught of misogyny, hate and derision know that we are the winners.

We won because we believe deeply in gender equality. We won because we censored the Democratic Party for cooking the books in their Primary for the sole purpose of defeating a woman and maintaining the status quo of good ol’ boy politics.

We won because no matter how much it hurt and no matter how cruelly we were taunted and blasphemed by friend and foe alike, we stood firm because all the evidence showed that the best candidate for the job of president was a woman.

We won because we never wavered in our passion despite the piles of crap and garbage thrown at us. We watched former ally after former ally turn away from us as their courage and conviction evaporated in the storm of blog and media hype.

INVICTUS
by William Ernest Henley; 1849-1903

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments: